This is one of my favorite meals – who doesn’t love a stuffed pepper? Hearty and healthy, these have got everything – lean protein, brown rice, beans, salsa and cheese. Rich in flavor – a taste of Mexican food without all the fat and calories.
- 1.5 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion
- 8 bell peppers
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 2 oz. cheddar cheese
- 2 oz. Colby jack cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- For the taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Cook rice then remove from heat and let sit covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Chop onion and add to oil, cooking until softened.
- Add ground turkey and seasoning, cook until browned.
- Rinse beans and stir in. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix turkey mixture, rice, salsa verde, and grated cheeses together.
- Cut tops off of peppers and scoop out seeds and discard.
- Spoon in turkey and rice mixture and place in a deep baking pan.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.